As I have said many times before, I am trying to become a better baker. With a handful of 4th of July parties to go to this past weekend, cupcakes seemed like a great idea….and a perfect opportunity to work on my baking skills.
I have been frequenting this awesome blog http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/ She always has amazing fitness, food and fashion ideas 😉 Check her out sometime! While I was exploring her recipe section, I saw these cupcakes and frosting and had to try it out. Boy am I glad I did!
She paired these cupcakes with a vanilla buttercream frosting, but when I saw ice cream frosting, my mouth instantly started watering! These little cakes are sooooooooo easy to make, and actually make the cupcake a heck of a lot more healthy then your normal cupcake. I bet you are all wondering why they are called Soda Cupcakes.
Basically all you do is mix together a box of cake mix and a can of your favorite soda and BOOM, you have awesome cupcakes! You can add the optional egg whites to add fluff (which I did) but that is it. As you will see, the frosting has just has a couple more steps, but is WELL worth it. HEAVEN IN YOUR MOUTH!
I did one batch of devil’s food & diet wild cherry pepsi & one batch of red velvet & diet wild cherry. I will list all the other combos that are on the website at the end.
5. Fill cupcake cups 2/3 of the way with batter.
(here are the done devil’s food & cherry pepsi)
Allow 1/4 cup of ice cream to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
2. Beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add the 2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Here is what you need for the cupcakes:
- - 1 box of cake mix
- - 12oz can of diet soda
- - optional 1-2 egg whites (to add some fluffiness)
- Here is what you need for the ice cream frosting:
- - ⅓ cup butter, softened
- - 4 oz, cream cheese, softened
- - 2 tsp vanilla extract
- - ¼ cup vanilla ice cream
- - 2-4 tbsp milk
- - 5-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- DIRECTIONS FOR CUPCAKES
- Pour cake mix into large mixing bowl.
- Dump 12oz. can of diet soda in with cake mix.
- Optional: Add 1-2 egg whites (I added one)
- Mix together with an electric mixer.
- Fill cupcake cups ⅔ of the way with batter.
- Bake according to directions on the box.
- DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING: Allow ¼ cup of ice cream to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the 2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Mix in ice cream.
- Gradually add milk until you reach your desired consistency. I did 2 TBSP.
- Place frosting in a piping bag or a ziplock bag with a cutoff corner and have fun frosting.