Crockpot Irish Stew

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on YummlyGoogle+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail to someone

This hearty stew will FILL you up, save you time and be loved

by the entire family…

What else could you ask for?!

Irish Crockpot Stew

Two days left until St. Patrick’s Day, and I have another EASY recipe for you to try out.  Crockpot Irish Stew!

I found a couple stews online for St. Patrick’s Day, involving potatoes and cabbage. I really wanted to make this stew last night and didn’t have those things on hand, so I decided to tweak a couple ingredients and came up with this beauty.

My pour veggie Darryl was left out of this dinner, but the girls and I LOVED it. I chopped up the veggies the night before, and then in the morning, dumped everything into the crockpot, and pushed GO! So very simple!

Hope you enjoy this yummy Crockpot Irish Stew !
XO Corey

Here is what you need (serves 6-8)

1.5-2 pounds stew beef, cubed
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
2 cups carrot slices (cut into about 1/2inch pieces)
1 cups celery slices (cut into about 1/2inch pieces)
1 cup onion slices (cut into about 1/2inch pieces)
3/4 cup pearl barley (rinsed and drained)
5 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1.Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Mix well.

3. Cover and cook over LOW heat for 7.5-8 hours.

NOTE: At about 7.5 hours, I added a cup of water…it looked like it needed a little more liquid.

The kiddos really enjoyed this one. Little D called it the “best steak soup ever!!!” hehe I say this Crockpot Irish Stew is a winner!

Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on a FUN new meal or idea and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D

4.9 from 7 reviews
Crockpot Irish Stew
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 6-8
  • 1.5-2 pounds stew beef, cubed
  • 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups carrot slices (cut into about ½inch pieces)
  • 1 cups celery slices (cut into about ½inch pieces)
  • 1 cup onion slices (cut into about ½inch pieces)
  • ¾ cup pearl barley (rinsed and drained)
  • 5 cups beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ½ teaspoon sage
  • ½ teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
  2. Mix well.
  3. Cover and cook over LOW heat for 7.5-8 hours.
  4. NOTE: At about 7.5 hours, I added a cup of looked like it needed a little more liquid.

Join the family!

Subscribe to get the latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox!

Young Living Oils

Young Living Starter Kit

1. alejandra says

hi, i was wondering if you could do this in a pressure cooker too, or if it would only work with the slow cooker. thanks!!

• says

Alejandra, I have never tried it in a pressure cooker. However, I have used a pressure cooker to speed things up for other crockpot meals. If you try it, PLEASE let me know if the pressure cooker works out… because that would be amazing! XO

• alejandra says

I’ll be giving this a try tomorrow in the pressure cooker. Wish me luck!!!! :o) I’ll report back, good or bad, haha. Thanks again for posting this recipe, it really does sound delish!!

• Corey says

I have never made it with those… but lentils sound like they could be yummy. Farro would also work. Hope that helps! XO

2. Stefanie says

The recipe says tomato sauce, but I see in the comments someone mentions paste… Does it make a difference? (Sorry, non-cooker over here.)

• Stefanie says

Thank you! Already did the prep work. Can’t wait to get it in the crockpot first thing in the am. Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

3. says

I made this today and we just finished it. Wonderful! Thank you so much…everyone really enjoyed it! Hope you’re having a happy day! This week’s Homemaking Linkup is up and I would love to have you join, if you haven’t already.

Mrs. Sarah Coller

4. Ana says

Made this yesterday for St. Patrick’s Day- It was fantastic!! My husband loved it and we will definitely be making it again!

5. Kim says

Thank you so much for this recipe, it was SOOO good! Can’t wait to have it tomorrow for lunch. Have frozen smaller portions for future lunches as well. My 8 year old barely eats anything and he even ate some – win!

6. Brooklyn Duke says

I’m gluten intolerant and can’t eat pearl barley. Are there any replacements you can recommend or can it be excluded altogether?

• Corey says

I think small gluten free noodles would be a great replacement :) I would cool them separate and just add in the last 15 minutes of cooking

7. Nicole says

This was absolutely perfect for this chilly Michigan day! The whole family loved it and it was SO EASY to throw together! Thanks for the great recipe!

8. Lindsay says

So I made this a couple weeks ago and loved it! Ate the leftovers everyday for lunch until it was gone and loved every bite! I was wondering if this stew freezes well. I’m about to pop any day now with baby #2 and would love to have it in the freezer ready to eat whenever baby comes. I know some things don’t always taste or come out so well after being frozen.

9. Crystal says

with the pearl barley, do I cook as directed on the barley then throw in the pot, or justo their de and drain and throw it in the pot?
    Thank you!
    Non-cooker 😉

10. Joe says

I’m thinking about making this for a St. Patrick’s church dinner. How many bowls does this recipe make?

11. Anna King says

I prepped this meal last night and my husband put it on the slow cooker this morning. I was very disappointed, it turned out nothing like the picture. It wasn’t thick and hearty looking, it had an excessive amount of broth. I realized later on that I forgot to add the tomato sauce, but even then that would have added more liquid. 😑 I had been looking forward to it all day at work. I’m going to give it another try and hope I end up with the same yummy results others are getting.