- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 pounds russet potatoes peeled
- 2 cups half-and-half or whole milk warm
- 8 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives optional
- additional tabs of butter butter optional
- Set a wire rack into the bottom of the instant pot cooker. Add the water. Place the potatoes on the rack. Close and lock the lid. Set the cook time for 20 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking time ends, do not vent the pressure cooker. Let pressure release naturally. Once the pressure valve drops, open the lid and transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add in milk and butter. Whip the potatoes with a handheld mixer on low speed with the paddle attachment. Add the salt, season with pepper as desired. Serve with optional toppings.