- 1 pound ground beef or vegetarian crumble
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 envelope taco seasoning or 2 TBSP of my DIY Taco Seasoning
- 4-6 cups tortilla chips
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup pitted large olives sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 cups cherry tomatoes
- In a large skillet, cook beef over a medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain off any extra grease. Next, stir in the water, salsa and taco seasoning. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Place chips in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Next spread beef evenly over the top of chips.
- Cover beef with a layer of lettuce.
- Arrange olive slices together in the upper left corner to form stars. For the stripes, alternate tomatoes and cheese. I added a couple extra chips to the side of the dish for some extra crunch.
- NOTE: If you are making this several hours in advance, I would skip placing the chips at the bottom of the taco salad and just serve them on the side.
- Optional: I also like to drizzle a little bit of Italian dressing over the individual servings :)
NOTE: If you are making this several hours in advance, I would skip placing the chips at the bottom of the taco salad and just serve them on the side.