- 3/4 - 1 pound lean ground beef, do not go over a lb
- salt and pepper to taste, I suggest 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can, 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pouch, 6.5 oz cornbread & muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small green onion, sliced
- Heat oven to 400°F. In large skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat. While cooking, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Drain off any extra grease.
- Stir in salsa, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, make cornbread as directed on pouch, using the 1/3 cup of milk. Stir 1/3 cup of cheese into cornbread batter. Spoon cornbread batter around outside edge of 12x8-inch baking dish. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the hot beef mixture into center. NOTE: make sure to drain off as much liquid as possible when using the slotted spoon.
- Bake uncovered for 18 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 4 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and cornbread is deep golden brown. Sprinkle with green onion just before serving.