- 6-8 cups water for boiling green beans
- 2 lb fresh green beans trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half fat free half and half is ok to use
- 4 oz cream cheese room temp
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked ham
- 1 container 2.8 oz French-fried onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan, heat 8 cups water to boiling. Trim ends of green bean. Add green beans. to boiling water and cook 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add in flour and salt and garlic powder. Stir until well combined. Gradually stir in broth and half-and-half and cook for about 5-6 minutes until smooth and sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn heat down to low/simmer. Next add in cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir until cheeses are melted. Once melted, stir in all but 1/2 cup of French-fried (save that 1/2 cup for a topping) onions and the ham. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine green beans and cheese mixture. Stir to coat green beans. Spray a baking dish (13x9-inch) with cooking spray. Spread mixture in baking dish. Top with reserved 1/2 cup French-fried onions.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.