- 4-5 pounds bone in prime rib
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 TB Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Start by bringing your prime rib to room temperature, about 30/40 mins. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place roast in a roasting pan, fatty side up. Spread the oil mixture over the fatty layer.
- Cook roast at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes, and then reduce the temperature to 325. Continue roasting for 11 mins per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 120 degrees. Once the meat thermometer reads 120, remove roast and tent with aluminum foil for 30 mins. While resting the internal temp will rise about 10 more degrees for the perfect medium rare of 130 degrees.
Can you freeze prime rib?
- Yes! After you roast has cooked and completely cooled, place your roast in freezer container. Store in your freezer for up to a month.
- When you are ready to use your prime rib, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then heat it up in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.