- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 32 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini refrigerated or frozen
- In a large pot, brown sausage over medium/high heat. Drain meat and add in onions and garlic. Cook, stirring for about for 2-3 minutes until onions are tender.
- Next add broth, tomatoes, water, carrots, celery, parsley, basil sand and pepper. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Add tortellini 5 to 10 minutes before serving and cook until tender (times depend on if you use frozen or refrigerated pasta).