- 3-4 pound chicken organic preferred
- 3-4 carrots peeled and cut in half
- 2 turnips quartered
- 2 celery stalks cut in half
- 2 onions quartered
- 1 head of garlic halved
- 1 tsp. pepper corns or cracked black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Place the chicken in a large pot, remove giblets.
- Put the rest of the stock ingredients in the pot along with the chicken.
- Put enough water in the pot to cover the chicken- approx. 12 cups. Cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-1 ½ hours or longer, until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from stock and let cool.
- Finely strain the vegetables and herbs out of your stock. Discard skin and bones and hand shred chicken meat from chicken and set aside. Use stock immediately, refrigerate up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months.