- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix prepared
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 1 small tub whipped dessert topping
- 2 cans vanilla frosting
- maraschino cherries for garnish
- Bake the cake according to package instructions in a 13x9 pan, let cool.
- To make the cherry cream:
- Use an electric mixer to whip the cans of frosting in a large bowl. Add half can cherry pie filling and mix again. Fold in half the whipped dessert topping.
- Assemble the trifle:
- Cut the cake down the middle and across into equal rectangle sections, about 10-12. Place half the cake into the bottom of your trifle dish and lightly press down.
- Spoon half of the cherry cream onto the cake and spread out evenly. Layer the rest of the cherries, then cake. Lightly press down. Top with remaining cherry cream and garnish as desired.
- I like to refrigerate this trifle for an 1 hour before serving, but this is optional can be served immediately.