- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup oil
- 4 cups whole wheat bread cut in ¾” cubes
- 1 lb. mild italian pork sausage casings removed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 granny smith apples peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- To save time, and to allow the bread to dry out, I like to prepare cornbread a day ahead.
- Preheat oven to 400℉. In a medium bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, egg, and oil. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8x8” pan. Cook for 20 minutes. Cook completely and let sit uncovered on counter overnight to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Cut cornbread into ¾” cubes. Place 8 cups cornbread cubes and 4 cups whole wheat bread cubes onto a large cookie sheet. Cook for 25 minutes, tossing gently halfway through cooking time.
- While bread is toasting, scramble fry sausage in a medium skillet for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Drain fat from skillet and discard.
- In the same skillet, melt butter and add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes over medium high heat. Add apples and cook for another 4 minutes or until apple begins to soften.
- In a large bowl, combine toasted cornbread and bread cubes, sausage, onion mixture, poultry seasoning, thyme, salt, and chopped parsley. Pour broth over mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Place stuffing in a greased 9x13” pan and cover with foil. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil from pan and return to oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.