- 6-8 slices thick-cut Italian loaf bread or Texas Toast
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup eggnog preferably homemade
- ½ teaspoon maple extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Set bread out overnight to harden, or use stale or day-old bread. (Fresh bread will work, but stale bread will hold up against more liquid, which makes a more stable French toast).
- Whisk together eggs, eggnog, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar until well combined.
- Dip each side of the bread in eggnog mixture until both sides are coated.
- Place soaked bread on a hot, buttered pan and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Serve French toast warm with optional toppings.
Additional toppings: chopped pecans, whipped cream, syrup, fresh fruit, powdered sugar