- 1 stick of butter divided
- 30 oz frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2- 10.5 oz cans of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 3 cups of corn flakes crushed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place 1 TBSP in a 9x13 casserole dish. Place the dish in the oven as it heats to melt the butter. This butter is what you will use to grease your pan. Take 5TBPS of butter and melt in a large skillet. If you have a large deep one that would be great because by the end of this it will be full! Cook the onion till softened about 3-4 minutes.
- Then sprinkle in the flour, cooking it for an additional 2 minutes so that the flour is not raw.
- Next you will slowly whisk your milk in with your onions, and flour. Once you have whisked till there are no lumps, you will add in both cans of cream of chicken soup. Again whisk till there are no more lumps.
- Turn the heat off of your stove and add in the sour cream and cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted and sour cream is incorporated in. Season with salt and pepper and taste.
- Next you will add your hash browns and stir them till they are mixed in the sauce. I did this in two batches to make it a little easier (this is where a nice deep skillet is nice). Now transfer all this yumminess to the greased dish.
- Melt your remaining 2 TBSP of butter and pour it over your slightly crushed corn flakes. Stir till they are all coated. Then sprinkle the cornflakes over your potatoes.
- Now, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes till the top is golden and the sides are bubbly. Allow to sit for 15 minutes and then enjoy!