- 8 oz. spaghetti noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons salted butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup finely grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- Add 1 teaspoon salt to a pot of boiling water and add spaghetti. Cook according to package instructions until done (al dente is preferred).
- Before draining pasta, remove 2 cups of the boiling, starchy pasta water from the pan and set aside. Drain remaining water from pasta and discard.
- Add the butter and 1 cup of the reserved pan water back into the pot with the pasta. Swirl gently to combine.
- As the butter melts, add half of the cheese and 1 teaspoon of pepper to the pasta and continue stirring. The pasta will become creamy as the cheese and butter melt into the hot pasta water.
- Add the remaining cheese and additional pepper if you’d like and stir until the ingredients are well combined and most of the cheese has melted into the sauce.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese, salt, and/or pepper if you’d like.