- 10 oz mini marshmallows plus a handful more for decorating the top of the hat.
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Red gel food color
- 1 cup white chocolate chips melted
- 1/2 cup white sanding sugar
- In a microwave safe bowl or medium sauce pan melt butter and marshmallows together, stirring until completely smooth. Color melted marshmallows with gel food color until it reaches your desired shade.
- Add Rice Krispies and stir until completely coated. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until completely cool and firm. Once mixture is firm take a golf ball sized amount and shape into a cone, making sure you have a flat bottom.
- Dip one small end of the marshmallow into the melted white chocolate and fix it to the top of the hat, allow to set for 5 minutes before handling. Dip the bottom of the hats into the melted white chocolate about 1/2" to 3/4", wipe any excess off the bottom so the hats sit flush. Immediately dip into the sanding sugar, pressing gently against the side of the container to coat evenly.
- Allow to set for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- You'll want to work fast with the white chocolate because it hardens quickly. If you're working with little ones and need more time then add some vegetable or other tasteless oil to the melted white chocolate about 1/4 tsp at a time until mixture is smooth and creamy like melted peanut butter. This will allow your chocolate to stay melted longer but still set. You may need to give it an extra 15 minutes to set if you add the oil.