For the past couple weeks I have been doing a fitness challenge put on by Jackie Damp . She has been an awesome fitness coach that eats, breathes and loves everything fitness.
She recently sent me this super easy recipe for a whole wheat pizza crust.
The day I made the crust, it was a beautiful day out and my big beautiful grill was calling my name. For the longest time, I have wanted to try grilling a pizza.
All I can say is WOW! The grilled pizza turn out great with this crust, and it was amazingly easy. Why did I wait so long to grill pizzas!
To be honest, the idea of grilling dough always scared me. I envisioned it being a big mess and the dough just falling through the grates. But that was not the case at all.
And the tastes is to die for! So hurry up and give this bad boy a try before grilling season is over. XO – Chef Corey
- - 1.5 cups of whole what flour
- - ¾ cup of warm water
- - 1.5 tsp of rapid rise yeast
- - ½ tsp of Italian seasoning ( totally optional. I made it with and without... both was are yum.... just added some fun flavor to the dough)
- Knead all the ingredients together.
- Put under saran wrap and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium/high while you roll out your dough.
- Oil up your grates to prevent any sticking.
- Lay dough out on oiled grates.
- Close lid and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- After the 2 minutes are up, check on dough. It should be puffing up and have slight grill marks on the underside. If this hasn't happened yet, close lid and continue to check on it every minute.
- Once your dough is puffing up and have slight grill marks on the underside, remove from grill. You want to put our toppings on the side that has the grill marks (the side that was facing the flame)
- Place pizzas back on the grill and cook until cheese has melted. I would check every 2-3 minutes, and do some shuffling of the pizzas so no burning occurs. Depending on your grill, you might need to turn down your grill a tad. Just keep you are eye on it 🙂 Our pizzas took about 6 minutes on this side ( so a totally of 8-9) minutes.