BBQ you can slice!
BBQ is wonderful stuff. You can make it lots of ways, with chicken or pork, and it’s always tangy and delicious. The only thing that’s not so wonderful about it is the mess. Even when you dish it up on buns, it’s still pretty much a three-napkin meal.
So I started thinking about how you could make BBQ a little neater to eat, without taking away the delicious. And what popped into my head was something like a stromboli, where the filling is baked inside a bread crust. So you can get all that yummy, messy sauce into your mouth without having to get it all over your hands.
I didn’t want to mess around with making dough from scratch, so I hit on the idea of just hollowing out a loaf of French bread and stuffing the BBQ right inside. Then you can put cheese on top and bake the whole thing, like garlic bread. The melted cheese helps hold it together, so you can just slice it and eat it – no forks or anything.
This is not only neater than BBQ on a bun, it’s EVEN MORE delicious. The sauce soaks into the crust as it bakes, and the cheese on top gives it a whole extra layer of flavor.
I made this with my Crockpot BBQ Chicken recipe, but it will taste just as great with your fav BBQ chicken. And no mess!
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread
(printable recipe at bottom of post)
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or easy lunchbox ideas for the family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Bread
- 1 large french bread loaf
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
- 3 – 4 cups BBQ Chicken from my recipe HERE or your fav bbq recipe
- 2 – 3 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 Tablespoon dry Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 .
- With a sharp knife, make a cut into the top of the bread loaf to begin hollowing it out. Cut along the length to the ends, leaving a generous inch around the edges of the bread.
- Begin removing the inside of the bread, but careful not to go too far down. You want to leave a good base for the bbq sauce to soak into as well as a bed for the BBQ chicken to sit on.
- After removing the bread, place the BBQ in the hollowed area. Drizzle the extra cup of BBQ sauce on top of the chicken Top with the shredded cheese, being sure to cover all areas.
- Sprinkle with the Italian seasoning and a bit of salt. Bake in the oven on a parchment lined baking pan for approximately 15 -20 minutes or until it’s heated through and the cheese is melted. If the cheese is not browned to your liking, feel free to broil it a bit until it reaches the brownness that you prefer.
- Let the loaf sit for approximately 10 minutes after if comes from the oven to help it set.