When it comes to recipes, I’m can never leave a good thing alone. I’m always taking a classic dish, like the all-American chocolate chip cookie, and trying to make it even better.
A few months back, this led me to create these fabulous Rolo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies, which had a Rolo caramel candy tucked inside a chocolate-cookie ball and frosted. That combo of caramel and chocolate chip cookie was just SO amazing, it had me looking for new ways to put these two great flavors together.
So I thought, what else has caramel? And the answer was obvious: turtle candies. That mixture of chocolate, caramel and pecans is a treat that’s hard to beat.
So here’s my latest concoction: Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies. They’re like regular chocolate chip cookies…with a Rolo candy melted on top…and a pecan half on top of that…and a rich, caramel-cream glaze drizzled over top of everything. Over the top? Maybe. Worth it? Ohhhhh yes.
The very best way to make these is with my Homemade Chocolate Cookie Recipe (minus the Oreo center), but if you’re in a rush, you can grab a pouch of ready-made cookie dough and they’ll still be fabulous.
Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies
- -1 pouch chocolate chip cookie mix (such as Betty Crocker) OR my Homemade Chocolate Cookie Recipe found HERE (just leave out the oreo center!)
- (if using pouch, you will need Butter and egg called for on the package)
- - 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- - 48 Rolo candies
- - 48 pecan halves
- - 15-20 caramels
- - 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- - 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Heat oven to 375°F. Prepare pouch of cookies or my Homemade Chocolate Cookie Recipe found HERE (just leave out the oreo center). Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheets.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from sheet form the oven and press one rolo candy into the center of each cookie. Return to oven 1 minute. Remove from oven again, and immediately place 1 pecan half on top of chocolate. Press down slightly. Let cool for a couple minutes and then finish cooling on cooling rack
- In small microwavable bowl, heat caramels and whipping cream uncovered for 30 to 60 seconds stirring every 10-15 seconds until caramels are melted. Next, drizzle over cookies and then sprinkle with sea salt. Let cookies completely cool and set for a couple of hours.