I’m kind of on a salad kick right now. On a hot summer day, it’s just so nice not to have to heat up the kitchen to make dinner. I can stay a lot cooler making a salad, and everyone else can stay cooler eating it.
The biggest problem with salads is that they’re not always that satisfying. A bowl of mixed greens and chopped veggies with a nice light dressing on top is cool and refreshing, but it doesn’t really feel like a meal. So you have to make something else to go with it, and then you’re back to that whole heating-up-the-kitchen problem again.
But with this Creamy Thai Chicken Salad, ya got no problems. It’s got meat and veggies all in one bowl – shredded chicken, bell pepper, carrots, cabbage, and green onions, all swimming in a creamy, peanutty, Thai-inspired dressing. All you need is some bread or rolls on the side to make it a complete meal.
If you start out with cooked, shredded chicken, you can make this salad in maybe 15 minutes from start to finish. This works out great if you happen to have a few leftover chicken breasts in the fridge. (And if you want to make sure you do, plan ahead by cooking up a few extra breasts next time you make chicken. Shred them up, and you’ve got your next meal practically ready to go.)
Creamy Thai Chicken Salad
For the Salad
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded and cooled
1 red pepper, finely diced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup shredded purple cabbage
1/4 cup green onion, diced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped, loosely packed
1/3 cup peanuts, chopped
For the Sauce
1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
pepper and salt, to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix together shredded chicken, bell pepper, carrots, cabbage, green onion, cilantro and peanuts.
2. In a separate bowl , combine sauce mixture.
3. Pour sauce mixture onto the chicken salad and mix until evenly combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
- For the Salad
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded and cooled
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ¼ cup green onion, diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped, loosely packed
- ⅓ cup peanuts, chopped
- For the Sauce
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup peanut butter, smooth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- pepper and salt, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together shredded chicken, bell pepper, carrots, cabbage, green onion, cilantro and peanuts.
- In a separate bowl , combine sauce mixture.
- Pour sauce mixture onto the chicken salad and mix until evenly combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins.