“Tuna sandwich” doesn’t begin to describe it.
Canned tuna is one of those ingredients that everyone has in the pantry, but no one ever gets excited about. It’s handy for emergencies, but what can you really make with it? Tuna salad? Tuna casserole? Ho hum.
Well, folks, I’m about to change your ideas about canned tuna. In a big way.
This Life Changing Tuna Melt recipe is WAY more than just a tuna sandwich. Sure, the recipe starts with a tuna salad – but it’s an extra special tuna salad, spiked with crunchy red onion, tangy lemon juice, garlic, dill, and the unique flavor punch of chopped capers.
But that’s only the first step. Next you load that tuna salad onto thick slices of crusty bread, slathered with butter, and top it with slices of tomato and provolone cheese. And then you pop it under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese bubbles and melts all over the top.
When you bite into the finished creation, you get chewy, crusty bread, gooey melted cheese, juicy tomato, and all the flavors of tuna, capers, lemon, onion, dill, and garlic in one mouthful. It’s an explosion of flavors and textures that’s truly life changing.
Life Changing Tuna Melt Recipe
4 cans (5 oz) albacore tuna, drained
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 Tablespoons capers, chopped
juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 TB)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons Butter
4 slices of large, thick crusty bread
8 thin slices of tomato
8 slices provolone
1. Heat broiler, with rack in highest position. In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill, garlic powder and mix until well combined.
2. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread 1/2 Tablespoon of butter on each slice.
3. Divide tuna salad evenly among slices, then top each with 2 slices tomato and 2 slice cheese, overlapping.
4. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Life Changing Tuna Melt Recipe
- 4 cans 5 oz albacore tuna, drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tablespoons capers chopped
- juice from 1/2 lemon about 1 TB
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 slices of large thick crusty bread
- 8 thin slices of tomato
- 8 slices provolone
- Heat broiler, with rack in highest position. In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill, garlic powder and mix until well combined.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread 1/2 Tablespoon on each slice. Divide tuna salad evenly among slices, then top each with 2 slices tomato and 2 slice cheese, overlapping. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Leave a Comment