With all the snow and cold weather we have been having here in the midwest, I thought a comfort food was in order.
Dumplings… can you think of anything more comforting than dumplings! Mmmmmmm.
Now I know all of your diet alarms are going off, but silence those sirens! I have been on and off Weight Watchers for many years ( currently on) and when you plug all these ingredients into their system, it was only 6 points a serving.
I divided this into 6 servings, but you could also do 4 for a hardier serving.
Those of you who have never been on WW, 6 points is really good. So sit down and enjoy this warm, filling, HEALTHY bowl of goodness!
(Recipe from Rachael Ray Magazine)
6. Add the chopped fresh herbs to the biscuit batter and combine.
7. When soup is bubbling, form batter into small dumplings, gently stirring, until just firm, 8-10 mins.
8. Discard bay leaf, transfer to bowl& enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 carrots- peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 rounded Tbsp flour
- 1 rounded Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 32oz of chicken or vegetable broth ( darryl loved the one made with veggie broth)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon, dill or parsley ( you pick )
- 2 cups boxed biscuit mix ( such as Trader Joe’s Biscuit mix, or Jiffy), batter prepared according to package directions.
- Heat a couple Tbsp of olive oil over a medium high heat in a large soup pot.
- Add butter to melt.
- Add carrots, celery and onion, season with salt and pepper and the bay leaf. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots soften, about 7-8 mins.
- Sprinkle the flour on the vegetables ans stir for a minute.
- Stir in chicken or vegetable broth, mustard and peas. For a thinner soup, you can add 1-1.5 cups of water at this time
- Add the chopped fresh herbs to the biscuit batter and combine.
- When soup is bubbling, form batter into small dumplings, gently stirring, until just firm, 8-10 mins.
- Discard bay leaf, transfer to bowl& enjoy!