When there’s a foot of snow on the ground and the thermometer is stuck at 20 degrees, there’s nothing as comforting as a nice, hot bowl of soup. And thanks to the magic of the Crockpot, it’s also really easy to make. Just throw everything into the crock in the morning, and when you come home in the evening, soup’s on!
This Crockpot Split Pea Soup is as easy, and as satisfying, as it gets. Just chop up your veggies and some turkey bacon, dump them in the pot with some other kitchen staples , and press go. What could be simpler?
And if you want to make this a vegetarian soup, hey, no problem. All you have to do is leave out the bacon and toss in a couple of medium potatoes, cut into bite-sized cubes, to give it a bit more bulk. If you miss the smoky flavor from the bacon, you can just add a bit of “liquid smoke,” which you’ll find on the flavorings shelf at your grocery store. It’s powerful stuff, so try just a few drops first, and then add more to taste.
Either way, meatless or meaty, this soup is real stick-to-your-ribs comfort food. All it needs is a good, chewy bread to make a complete meal.
Crockpot Split Pea Soup
1 lb dry split peas
2 cups of diced turkey bacon, about 8 oz (or 2 cups of any ham product you have on hand)
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
32 oz of chicken broth (here’s my homemade version)
2 cups water
1. Place all ingredients into a 6 quart crockpot. Cover and and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Here is the turkey bacon I used. LOVE this stuff!
2. Remove bay leaves before serving. We love to serve our Crockpot Split Pea Soup with grilled cheese sammies or some warm chunks of bread!
Do you love soup? Make sure to check out my favorite crockpot soups!
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or easy lunchbox ideas for thefamily andSIGN UPto have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! JustCLICK HEREand enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Here is what I used to make this Crockpot Split Pea Soup!
Click on the images for more details
(Post contains affiliate links)
- 1 lb dry split peas
- 2 cups of diced turkey bacon (or 2 cups of any ham product you have on hand)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 32 oz of chicken broth (here's my homemade version)
- 2 cups water
- Place all ingredients into a 6 quart crockpot. Cover and and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. We love to serve our Crockpot Split Pea Soup with grilled cheese sammies or some warm chunks of bread!