Take a walk on the wild rice side!
The name “wild rice” is kind of misleading. It’s not really rice at all. It’s from a completely different plant, and it has a completely different taste and texture. Chewy on the outside, tender on the inside, with a kind of earthy flavor that you definitely won’t get from plain old white rice.
Wild rice is way more nutritious than the regular kind, too. It has more than twice as much fiber and lots more protein, plus all kinds of good vitamins and minerals. Sure, it’s a lot more expensive than white rice…but it’s soooo worth it.
I’ve posted lots of recipes with plain rice here, but I’ve never done one with wild rice before. So, I figured it was time I finally took a walk on the wild side. My new Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole combines wild rice (or a wild rice blend, which is a bit cheaper) with cooked chicken, veggies, and a rich, creamy sauce, with a little parmesan cheese on top to give it a nice coating.
It comes out of the oven looking golden brown and smelling exquisite. It’s a true gourmet experience that you’ll never get from “tame” rice.
Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
2 cups chicken, cooked, shredded or diced
4 cups of cooked 5 grain medley rice (or any wild rice you have available)
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 celery stalks, chopped
½ onion, diced
½ cup sour cream
¾ cup chicken stock
1 tsp garlic, minced
¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
as desired salt and pepper (I suggest 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a fry pan, sauté celery, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, soup, sour cream, water or stock, and sautéed celery and onion. Mix well. Add the rice, a cup at a time to make sure it incorporates well.
3. Pour into a 9 x 11 greased baking dish. Smooth out the top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for approximately 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- 2 cups chicken cooked, shredded or diced
- 4 cups of cooked 5 grain medley rice - or any wild rice you have available
- 1 10.5oz can condensed cream of chicken soup -
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- ½ onion - diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp garlic - minced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese - shredded
- as desired salt and pepper - I suggest 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a fry pan, sauté celery, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, soup, sour cream, water or stock, and sautéed celery and onion. Mix well. Add the rice, a cup at a time to make sure it incorporates well.
- Pour into a 9 x 11 greased baking dish. Smooth out the top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for approximately 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Leave a Comment