Summer is the best of times…and the worst of times. At least, it is for people who love to cook. On the one hand, stores are bursting with fresh, delicious produce…tomatoes, melons, squash, cucumbers. It’s a whole cornucopia of flavor.
But on the other hand, it’s so hot out, you just hate to heat up the kitchen by turning on the stove. So you’ve got all these gorgeous veggies, and you can’t stand to cook them.
The obvious solution to this problem is, don’t cook them. Serve them in a nice, cool salad…a perfect, light meal for a hot summer day.
This particular salad is a great way to use cucumbers, which are both incredibly good and incredibly cheap in the summertime. Make sure you choose English cucumbers, which have thin skins and tiny seeds. That way you don’t have to do anything but slice them and toss them with a little sliced red onion and a creamy garlic-dill dressing. Just mix it all up willy-nilly, and chill it for a good two hours.
And that’s it! Your garden-fresh cukes are ready to enjoy, and your kitchen stays nice and cool.
Homestyle Creamy Cucumber Salad
2 English Cucumbers
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions
2 TBSP fresh dill, diced
1 cup sour cream
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 TBSP sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Place sliced cucumbers, and sliced onions into a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix together dill, sour cream, garlic, vinegar, sugar and salt. Pour over cucumbers and mix until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
- 2 English Cucumbers
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 TBSP fresh dill, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 2 TBSP sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place sliced cucumbers, and sliced onions into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together dill, sour cream, garlic, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Pour over cucumbers and mix until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.