The blueberry muffin gets a healthy makeover.
Blueberry muffins really look like they should the perfect breakfast food. They’re delicious, for sure, especially when they’re warm out of the oven. And with all that fruit in them, they should be really healthy, right?
Well, not so much. One of those big blueberry muffins they sell at bakeries has over 450 calories, 19 grams of fat, 39 grams of sugar, and just 1 gram of fiber. Maybe it’s not the worst thing you could eat for breakfast, but it’s definitely not health food.
A really perfect breakfast would give you the delicious flavor of a blueberry muffin without all that extra sugar and fat. Instead, it would be packed with healthy ingredients like fruit, yogurt, and nutrient-packed seeds.
Sounds like a job for a smoothie bowl!
This Blueberry Muffin Smoothie Bowl puts the best part of a blueberry muffin – the berries – front and center. It’s a creamy blend of blueberries, banana, yogurt, and milk, topped with more fresh fruit, coconut, and chia seeds. It’s got the blueberry flavor you love, without anything your body doesn’t need.
Blueberry Muffin Smoothie Bowl
1 frozen ripe banana
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 (5.3 ounce) container vanilla Greek yogurt (or about 1/2 cup) – Frozen
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon coconut flakes
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 fresh banana, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
1. Start by combining your banana, blueberries, yogurt, and milk in your blender. You can also use a food processor.
2. Pulse blender and blend until smooth.
3. Pour into bowl, and top with suggested toppings.
TIP: To make the smoothie bowl thicker and more like soft serve ice cream consistency, be sure to freeze the yogurt.
Makes 1 large smoothie bowl, or 2 small.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Blueberry Muffin Smoothie Bowl
- 1 frozen ripe banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 5.3 ounce container vanilla Greek yogurt (or about 1/2 cup) - Frozen
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 fresh banana - sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Start by combining your banana, blueberries, yogurt, and milk in your blender. You can also use a food processor.
- Pulse blender and blend until smooth
- Pour into bowl, and top with suggested toppings.
- To make the smoothie bowl thicker and more like soft serve ice cream consistency be sure to freeze the yogurt.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Leave a Comment