How to Make PERFECT Hard Boiled Eggs in the Oven

Ok people. This is a game changer.

Perfect eggs every time!

I love hard boiled eggs.

Why don’t I make them all the time? Well, the thought of getting a big old pot of water boiling, and then timing the boiling, flame on, flame off,  lid on , lid off…. UGH!

Half the time I end up timing something wrong, and end up with over cooked, hard to peel eggs. OMG…. peeling hard boiled eggs is the pits!

So when I kept seeing the idea on Pinterest, of hard boiling eggs in the oven, I HAD to give it a try.

Ok people. This is a game changer. Eggs go in the oven for 30 minutes, then in a bowl of ice water to cool. That’s IT!

You wanna know the BEST part? The peel practically slides off in one piece. I kid you not!

Here is what you do.

Preheat your  oven to 325. Some of the posts I found  said between 325-350. My eggs turned out perfect at 325. If you know your oven runs cooler, try out a higher temp.

PLEASE  DO A TEST RUN with a couple eggs until you figure out the correct cooking temp for your oven.

Place eggs in a muffin tin to prevent them from rolling around.
Cook for 30 minutes.

That’s it! Perfect eggs every time. I have cooked about 4 dozen so far and have had success with EVERY batch.

Not an egg lover? Make sure to pin this one for Easter time.. it will be a life saver for coloring eggs :)

Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on a FUN new meal or idea and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
XO
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D

4.5 from 66 reviews

How to Make PERFECT Hard Boiled Eggs in the Oven

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • Dozen eggs
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 325. Some of the posts I found said between 325-350. My eggs turned out perfect at 325. If you know your oven runs cooler, try out a higher temp. Otherwise, go for the 325.
  2. Place eggs in a muffin tin to prevent them from rolling around.
  3. Cook for 30 minutes.
  4. After the 30 minutes, remove eggs from the oven and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.I left them in there for about 10 minutes.

Here is what I used to make these AWESOME hard boiled eggs.

Comments

1. Shut Up!! I can’t believe this, so cool! I always makign hard boiled eggs, but never baked them. I am sooooooo doing htis tonight, I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

• I know! I can’t believe it worked so well :) I will be making hard boiled eggs much more now :)

• Angeline Studdard says:

Hi! I just tried this and it did cook the eggs fine. However, all three of the eggs I tried this with had two brown spots on the white of the egg… Almost like burn marks. Has this happened to you? Did you bake eggs taken right from the refrigerator or were they at room temp?
        Angeline

• the same thing happened to me, Angeline. I may try putting them directly on the oven rack next time to see if it happens again that way

• Ummm… I guess I’m a perfectionist. I just figured out a way to prevent the brown marks, even though they’re not THAT big a deal (or so I tell myself). Take a cotton ball and pull at it until it makes a “nest” about the size of the mini-muffin cup; line each cup with a cotton ball, then set the egg (fat end down) in the cotton nest. The idea is to prevent any portion of the eggshell from actually touching the cup. Bake as appropriate for your oven. I LOVE this method of hard-cooking eggs. I get fresh, fresh, fresh eggs straight from my husband’s ranch – I know the warnings but have never had a problem – and I can’t believe how easily these peel after 10 min. in the ice water bath. Never had that result when boiling eggs, I always lost half the white trying to peel them. This method produces creamy eggs with bright, beautiful yolks!

• Great minds all work together!!!!! Saw your idea with lining muffin tin with cotton balls. I used the little square/round cotton makeup removal pads. you can put as many or few as YOU want. (I for about them and they turned into flame boiled eggs) not really, just a little kitchen humor.

• I cooked 4 eggs yesterday and it worked fine. Yes, there was a little brown spot or two, but fine. Today I cooked 6 more eggs with the cotton ball lining. Unfortunately the eggs didn’t fully cook in the 30 min. One third of the egg white was still somewhat liquid and the egg yolk was not fully cooked either. Maybe my cotton balls were still too thick even though I flattened them by pulling and spreading out the fibers. Next time I will just go with the original method.

• P.S. I do love cooking them in the oven. So much less trouble than the boiling water method.

• Joyce McGrane says:

Just tried Bill’s idea using cotton make-up remover rounds. Worked perfect!!! Reuseable too.

• Oh my I ruined a dozen or more eggs today until I came across this site. I did it in a reg muffin tin with cupcake wrappers and it saved me. They came out perfectly! Thanks soooo much…

• You do not have to have that pan. Just place them on your cooking racks. They won’t roll. You do not have to go out and buy a pan for them.

• Lisamaarie says:

I am going to try this for Dying Easter eggs, can anyone tell me if they crack when putting them straight from the oven into ice water? I don’t like dying cracked eggs!

• Momma Sparks says:

Mine didn’t crack! When I boil them I always lose a few but when baking them I didn’t crack a single one.

• do you put water in the pan?

2. I’ve been wanting to try this since I saw it on Pinterest. Was waiting till someone I “know” try it out to make sure it worked. Thanks!

3. Amazing! I can’t wait to try this.

4. Wow! looks like a winner!

5. I’ve been wanting to try this! But… well, you know how temperamental my oven is :) Love that the shell comes off so easily!

6. OMG!! first there was perfect cooked corn on the cob in the microwave without husking it and now hard boiled (baked??) eggs from the oven and no hassle peeling!! I just might cook more often :-)

7. Anonymous says:

I would never have thought of that. It is fantastic and so logical.

• It really is a life saver :) I can’t stop making hard boiled eggs!

• I dson’t know what I did wrong, but they DO NOT peel. Do they need to be room temp?
        Maybe there wasn’t enough ice in water.?? May need to raise temp. ?? Any ideas?

• Mine don’t peel well either. I like to keep a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I did not peel mine right away and a few days later, they were impossible to peel…

• I’m probably one of the few people that like to peel hardboiled eggs. I haven’t tried this yet but will be tonight. One of the best things I’ve found is before they completely cool, peel them in the sink with a bowl or pan with cold water. I usually have the cold water running as I peel them. The egg being a little warm and the shell being cold from the water seems to separate them better. I use the pan or bowl to collect the shells then drain the water and toss the shells.

8. Just turned on the over to give this one a try :) ;)

9. Anonymous says:

Thanx, Corey! I just forwarded this link to my mom: at 86, she no longer cooks anything from scratch…except egg salad, but peeling the eggs is a curse for her, not only bec. they stick, but bec. she has arthritis and numbness in her fingers. This might be a lifesaver for her!:)

Appreciatively,

Knitnut

10. Mine are in the oven now.. wish me luck! lol

11. A perfectly made hard boiled egg takes 13.

12. A perfectly made hard boiled egg takes 13.

13. A perfectly made hard boiled egg takes 13.

• Anonymous,

And how long does it take to get the water up to boiling? How many eggs crack and cannot be used? Remember the green around the yolk that happens when boiling in water? Well, that ring doesn’t happen when you bake them. Baking a cake from scratch is very inefficient too, but oh! it is worth it!

• the awesome thing about baking them is you just put them in the oven and walk away. you dont even have to wait for the oven to preheat! i have been doing this the past few months since i saw it on pinterest and its great!

• I will try this and if it works then it beats the traditional way hands down. I don’t have time to baby eggs in the water and breaking 2-3 each time or dealing with cracks and overheating. I like the idea of putting them in the oven and setting the timer, taking out and cooling. Enjoyably easy almost like buying a crawfish meat rather than catching them and peeling them.

14. Popping a dozen eggs in the oven now. This will be great since I eat hard boiled eggs every morning for breakfast while getting everyone out the door.

15. This is a great idea! I am going to try it now. Thanks!

16. Just tried this and it failed. 325 for 30 min. My eggs had brown spots and half were over done. I even rotated them half way through cause my oven is hotter in the back then the front. I was going to make deviled eggs fir a party but all the brown spots on the whites makes that a no go. Looks like egg salad for lunch instead.

17. ironrider92 says:

DOESN’T WORK AT ALL!!!!!!! TERRIBLE IDEA!!!!!!!

• I am so sorry it didn’t work out for you. I have had a lot of people who have had success. Maybe I could help figure out what went wrong. What did you use to cook them in, temp? How long?

• I have to agree. This is terrible. Multiple brown spots per egg and actually MUCH harder to peel.
        Recipe=FAIL.

• Sorry that it didn’t work out for you Jess. Did you read the many comments above about preventing brown spots and using older eggs for better peeling? Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by :) XO

• I tried this for the 1st time using organic brown eggs…30 minutes at 325 (pre-heated oven)…the insides were still uncooked and it was hard to peel!!!! :(

I put the rest of the eggs back in the oven to cook another 20 minutes in the oven. I hope it gets cooked all the way though or else, I just wasted 12 pcs of organic eggs :( SIGH.

• Well, to be fair she did say to do 2-3 eggs at first as a test instead of doing all 12 the first time you try it.

• Mine turned out great, i did see some very light brown spots on a couple of mine. I think it might have been residue from one that broke, because it came off when i used a cloth on the shell.. Now all I have to do is color them with the kids tonight. thanks for this, it was a awesome idea….. did mine at 325 for 30 min in electric oven…

• Tried it in a toaster oven – Nope.

After 10 minutes they started popping. Boiling water is only 212° Farenheit. No doubt that this is a viable cooking method, but 300 may be a bit high. Or you need to make note of where in the oven you place it. I get that a toaster oven is different than a conventional oven, but this did not work at all for me.

18. Worked great! 325 for 30 minutes was perfect. The shell peeled off flawlessly – thanks for the idea!

19. I tried these today because I want to start eating more hard-boiled eggs in my quest to lose weight. I preheated my gas oven to 325 and baked for 30 minutes before putting them in ice water for 10 minutes. The first one I tried was stubborn and I had a very hard time getting the shell to come off and it had a couple of small brown spots. The second was much easier to de-shell but had three or four brown spots (which look like burn marks and are just on the first layer of egg whites). I cut off the spots and tried them and they tasted right but I was wondering what I might adjust to not get those spots. Great concept if I can perfect it!

• A couple people have mention brown spots. I also have a gas stove and have yet to have brown stops show up. Did you cook them on the top or bottom rack? I usually do mine on the top rack. Maybe that would help? Let me know if you have any luck :)

20. This did not work for me! :( I did exactly what you said. Pre-heated to 325. Put them in a muffin pan for 30 mins. Took them out and placed in ice water. 15 mins later when I went to peel them, the egg shell was stuck on. It took me 5 mins just to peel one! And when i finally did, it either lifted the first layer of egg white with it or, left that weird rubbery lining. What happened?

• Hmmm. Well, like I say in the post, some people need to bake at 350 (just depending on your stove).. so maybe try a higher temp? I make these every week, and there will be a couple batches were 1 or 2 of the eggs in the batch that do what you are talking about. Did it do that for ALL the eggs? Maybe try a peeling a couple more. I hope that helps Elaine!

• You know what? Maybe your eggs were too fresh. I raise chickens and if you use very fresh eggs,the shell WILL stick.You’re better off using like week old eggs. <3

21. I think people need to consider making adjustments for their ovens.

I tried this today using my gas stove. I wasn’t completely sure how it would turn out because MY oven does get pretty hot.

My rack was in the middle — went ahead and cooked as you directed, but I too had the brown spots (although the eggs WERE fabulously easy to peel). The majority of the brown spots were on the bottom half of the egg — which was the section touching my muffin tin.

I’m going to try again because I simply love this idea … but I think I’m going to experiment with lowering the rack and the temp. Hopefully that works!

• YAY, I’m glad they peeled well for you :) I like the idea of lowering the rack. Can I ask… were the brown spots on the shell or do they show up on the actual egg. I still haven’t had this happen and am curious as to these spots. Are there a lot of spots or just a small one where they are touching the muffin tin, like you said. Thanks Rachel!

• They were on the egg itself (visible after peeling). I peeled two of the six eggs I baked — both had them and there were 2-3 spots on each. All were where the egg had rested against the metal sides of the muffin tin. So, I think it’s an issue with the metal heating up and burning them a bit.

• Brown spots are happening for 2 reasons.
          1. Rinse eggs first especially if you bought them at the store. There tends to egg whites on the outside from broken eggs in the packing process.
          2. This is only a guess about the inside spots. When you boil eggs in water you can see air escaping the shell. The spots appear where the pin holes are. I had one with a thin line that looked like a scratch on the shell. The inside had the same line browned on the egg white. Next batch I am considering what type of oil I could rub on that might not brown in the baking. Not sure yet about that. If I don’t want to dye the egg I would think it would take care of the problem.
          By the way, this was an awesome way to cook 15 dozen for an Easter Event.

22. Two questions:
    1) No mention of egg temp before cooking so I’m guessing you can take them straight from the fridge to the oven.
    2) Wonder if a silicone muffin pan would eliminate the brown spots?

Going to try it for the first time in a few minutes for tonight. I’m trying both a metal pan for 6 eggs and a silicone pan for 6. I’m putting my rack in the center of my (electric) oven.

Wish me luck!!

• And I’m going to bake at 325 degrees. {side note: anyone know how to make a degree symbol appear? :-) }

• i like your methodical mind there Denise, curious about the differences. And BTW the “degree” symbol is ALT-0176 (hold down the ALT key and then type ’0176′

• Yes I take them right out of the fridge. I must say, Iv’e never used a silicone pan. Fun! I hope they turned out for you Denise :) XO

23. Hi I just wanted to let you know that i came across your oven hard boiled eggs on pinterest and tried it out.. Works fantastic! Thank You.

24. Do you think this would work for soft-boiled eggs?

25. Silicone mini muffin pan — no brown spots.

26. I have been wanting to try this ever since I saw it on pinterest but just never have. Tried it this morning so I could have a couple boiled eggs and fruit for a low WW points lunch. I too got a few little burn marks only where the eggs were touching the metal pan, but it didn’t matter since I was just going to slice and eat them. Easiest eggs I’ve ever peeled!!!! I did mine at 350 and they were a tiny bit dry, next time I’ll do 325 and use a silicone muffin pan :)

• YAY Mary! I am so glad they turned out for you :) Isn’t strange how easy they peel?! I have had a couple eggs from time to time that have a hard time peeling, but overall, it is still so cool how easily the peel comes off :)
      PS… great ideas for a low WW point lunch. I think I’ll do the same today :) XO

27. Delorese miller says:

Mine are in the oven now, I think the silicone muffin tin is the answer, also I think on the peel issues even when doing it on top of the stove the easy peel depends on how fresh the egg is.

28. So I tried this and it worked great. One dozen perfectly cooked and peeled eggs. Our 3yr old let our puppy in to the kitchen where I had the perfect eggs sitting in a bowl on counter, the puppy ate all dozen eggs. Guess they were tasty too! I will have to try it again after I buy more eggs!

29. Will have to try this out as I love Hard boiled eggs!! Just a little worried about them exploding!! hope it does work!!

• Hahaha. They won’t explode :) But like I said in the post, play around with the temp with a couple eggs until you find your oven’s sweet spot.

30. Works!

31. I tried this today and it didn’t quite work out how I was hoping! I think next time I need to try the silicone baking cups because I think my pans got too hot and my oven must be hotter than it says (325 was what I set it at). And I did 30 min and a few of them exploded open a little! I’ll try again later with less-fresh eggs and with silicone cups and with less time and lower heat :)

I still like this method better than the boiling water though!

32. Do the eggs have to be room temperature?? thanks!

33. I can’t believe I never though of this! I mean really, take out the step of the boiling hot water, duh!! The shells came off without like they had no business with the white and yolk to begin with. One weird other fact, the shells where perfectly brittle to puvlerize for my worm composting bins. Screw you boiling water, I’m never coming back to you!

34. i saw alton brown do this on one of his earlier shows but never tried it. silly me. my daughter tried it a few months ago and this is the way we’ve been doing it since! Alton just laid the eggs on the rack but i envisioned a disaster so used a muffin tin. got those brown spots, hmmm, silcone to the rescue! works so well! i cook mine at 335º . making some now for pickled eggs. oh, and my vast egg boiling experience has taught me NEVER use fresh eggs. they just don’t peel well no matter if ya boil or bake ‘em. :)

35. I was wondering if the egg shell turned brown in the oven..I was thinking of doing this for Easter eggs for dying – but dont want to if the egg shell turns brown,

• That is a good question! The eggs we get are brown, so I have never tried it with white shelled eggs. Has anyone does this with white eggs?

• Sarahbelle says:

I’ve used this for white eggs many times and it works just fine. I actually had less success using the muffin tin – the eggs were tougher and had heavier brown spots where they contacted the tin. I just use a sheet of aluminum foil over my cookie sheet (less dish washing and some of my sheets are kinda dark from lots of use) and lay out however many I’m planning to do in a batch. I’ve always gotten brown spots – on the shell and on the egg itself – but they’re usually not too bad. Since we just eat them, the spotting has never been a concern for us.

36. Okay everyone if do not have a gas oven you can’t cook at 325. I am going to try again at 350. I used my pampered chef stone muffin pan so nothing burnt at least. Eggs slightly undercooked and difficult to peel.

• That is a great idea to cook at a high temp with an electric stove. Like I said in the post, everyone’s oven is different. So please, please, please try this out with only a couple eggs until you figure out how your oven cooks the eggs. As another reader pointed out, it’s best to use older eggs to help with peeling. Hope that helps Kerry :)

37. Just tried this came out awesome! Baked at 350 since I have electric oven. Did have brown spots but doesn’t bother me. Peeled so much easier this way. Thanks for the recipe!

38. OMG!! The best idea ever! Worked like a charm!!!!.

39. These are in the oven right now for our Passover seder dinner tomorrow, and I’m also making your crockpot artichokes for tonight’s dinner. Thanks Corey!!

40. Just tried this- fail. Made one dozen to dye tonight and 6 of them cracked- one of which exploded wide open and left tiny brown spots all over the other eggs. I guess we will only be dying 6 eggs since my husband is the only one who will eat them cooked this way and I don’t want any to get wasted. :(

• Sorry it didn’t work out the way you wanted Nicole. This is why I URGE you to only try a few eggs at a time until you learn the best oven temp for your eggs. Every oven is different. 30 minutes at 325 works perfect for me, but when we made these at my friend’s house, she had to cook hers for 30 minutes at 335.

41. Candice R says:

Don’t know about anyone else but my shells refuse to peel off and the yolk is runny even at 350

42. Emily Inglevine says:

But… then you’re spending 40 minutes to do something which should only take 5.

43. I am doing this now, so when the kids get home they can color them :) hope it goes well hehe

44. I tried this today for the first time. I have one word for the results. PERFECT!!! I have always had trouble with boiled eggs before. Peeling them was a nightmare. These were perfect in every single way. Unbelievable!

45. just had my first egg, two small brown spots, cut them off tasted great and peeled with no problems.
    used Martha Stewarts recipe in the past…..horse a piece….. Thanks

46. Wow! We’re about to do this for our deviled eggs for Easter. Thank you so much for sharing this (and trying it out to see how it really works, too! )
    ~Sarah

47. Just made these in a metal cupcake tin, 325 degrees in a gas oven, then 10 or so minutes in a large bowl of ice water. Worked perfectly! Very easy to peel and perfectly cooked through. Though I had very few, tiny brown spots I will use a silicone cup cake pan in the futrure :)

48. Well, followed the instructions exactly and my eggs did not cook properly and peel worse than they do when I boil them. Now I need to make a mad dash to the store to buy more eggs that I boil the usual way so that my kids have something to color for Easter. I highly recommend that others do a test run before relying on this method.

• Sorry to hear that Stephanie. I have URGED people to test out only a couple eggs at a time, so you can figure out what temp to cook you eggs at so you do not waste a whole dozen. For those of you missing this important part, I will change in the post to bold print :)

49. This did not work. I am very disappointed that we will not be able to eat our dyed eggs on Easter.

• I am very sorry Kristin. I wish you would have done a trial run as suggested on only a couple eggs until you found the best temperature for your oven. I hope you give it a try again sometime :) XO

50. Trying 4 right now.I don’t have mini muffins so I laid them on the side in a cupcake an with liners to hopefully keepfrom burning. We’ll see! I put them on the middle rack. Hope that’s not too high.