There’s no doubt about it…fall is in the air. The trees are putting on their annual show, all dressed up in red and yellow. The nights are growing longer, and there’s a distinct nip in the air by the time everyone comes in for supper.
Which means, of course, that it’s a perfect time for chili. Isn’t it funny how something so warm and cozy is pronounced just like “chilly”? On the other hand, maybe that makes perfect sense, since it goes so well with chilly weather.
This recipe is a spin-off of my husband’s Famous Vegetarian Chili, the recipe that won my heart—by way of my stomach—all those years ago. The main difference is that it’s now made in my favorite appliance, the crockpot. With the help of this go-to kitchen tool, you can now put a pot of chili on to cook in the morning and have a hot meal ready and waiting when everyone comes home in the evening.
The other tweak on the recipe is that I’ve created a heartier, meaty version of the chili for all my non-vegetarian readers. It’s just a little bit more work than the veggie version, since you have to brown the beef with a touch of seasoning before you toss it into the crock, but it gives this dish a definite stick-to-your ribs boost. But vegetarians needn’t worry…you can still make this a veggie-friendly dish by substituting your favorite brand of soy crumbles.
Serve it up hot, with your favorite toppings. We love it with corn chips and cheese, but sour cream is good too. And if there’s any left over, don’t worry—it will keep beautifully in the freezer, ready to be thawed out on a day when you were too rushed even to load up the crockpot in the morning.
Easy Crockpot Chili
(printable recipe at bottom of post)
1 lb ground beef, browned
2 (15 oz) cans dark kidney beans, drained
1 (14.5 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes
1 packet of chili seasoning
2 cups water
cheese for topping
corn chips for topping
1. After beef is browned, and grease drained, place in crockpot. Add in kidney beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, chili seasoning and water. Stir until well combined.
2. Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
3. Serve with your favorite chili toppings, such as cheese, sour cream or corn chips!
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Here is what I used to make this Easy Crockpot Chili.
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes
- 1 packet of chili seasoning
- 2 cups water
- cheese for topping
- corn chips for topping
- After beef is browned, and grease drained, place in crockpot. Add in kidney beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, chili seasoning and water. Stir until well combined.
- Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings, such as cheese, sour cream or corn chips!