The power of the light side.
Wouldn’t it be great if everything that tasted good were also good for you? That way you would never have to choose between eating right and eating yummy.
But sadly, lots of delicious recipes are guilty pleasures. Like that French classic, Chicken Cordon Bleu. Chicken rolled up with Swiss cheese and ham, then breaded and fried…it’s wonderful, but it’s really not health food.
So I’ve put my brain to work coming up with a lighter version. First, I turned it into a casserole, which is a lot less work than all that stuffing and rolling. Then I lightened up the sauce by replacing the gobs and gobs of butter with a fat-free cream soup. I also replaced the butter in the bread-crumb topping with olive oil. And I chose a low-sodium, low-fat ham to take the curse off even more.
This new, lighter version of Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole still has that combo of chicken, cheese, and ham that makes the original so good, but with a lot less fat and salt. Serve it with brown rice and spinach, and you’ve got a meal you can actually feel good about and enjoy eating.
Lightened-Up Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
(Printable recipe at the bottom of post)
2. Remove from heat and place in the bottom of a casserole dish.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or easy lunchbox ideas for the family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup milk
- 6 slices deli ham, divided
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Chicken seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Sauce seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian blend seasoning
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 Slice the chicken breast, season on both sides with the paprika, garlic, salt & pepper. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. I like to brown the chicken to give it an extra layer of flavor. Brown for about 1 minute on each side.
- remove from heat and place in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- In a small sauce pot over medium low heat, add the cream soup, milk and sauce seasonings. Mix until
- fully combined and warmed. Remove from heat.
- Pour half of the sauce over the chicken. Layer the half of the ham, then half of the cheese. Add the remaining sauce, finish with the last of the ham and cheese.
- Mix the olive oil, bread crumbs and reserved ham together. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and sauce is bubbling at the edges.