Never settle for store-bought again.
Man, I am just loving all this summer produce. Here down South, we’re already getting tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and that coolest of all summer veggies, cucumbers.
Now, there are lots of great things to do with cukes. You can slice them for sandwiches, add them to a green salad, or use them as the focal point of a dish like my new Thai Cucumber Salad. But when I’ve got a lot of cucumbers on your hands, what I really love to do with them is whip up a batch of homemade pickles.
If you’re thinking, “Why bother? You can get pickles at the store,” then clearly you’ve never tried it yourself. A perfectly crisp, bright green, homemade dill pickle is way better than those drab, soggy spears you can buy off the shelf. And they’re so easy to make, there’s simply no reason to settle for store-bought.
These Easy Refrigerator Pickles require no cooking, no canning – no need to even turn on the stove. All you have to do is mix up the juice, dump in the sliced cucumbers, and stash the jar in the fridge for three days. Seriously, that’s it!
When you pull out the jar and bite into that first salty, crunchy pickle slice, you’ll swear you’re never buying pickles again. At least not while there are fresh cucumbers in season.
Easy Refrigerator Pickles
1 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoons black peppercorns
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
6 – 8 sprigs fresh dill
1 bay leaf
1 large seedless cucumber, sliced into rounds
1. Start by adding the water, vinegar, salt, peppercorns, garlic, dill and bay leaf to a large 1 quart jar. Stir to combine.
2. Add the sliced cucumbers to the jar. Place the lids on the jar, and shake to combine.
3. Refrigerate ideally for at least 2-3 days before eating. The pickles will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Easy Refrigerator Pickles
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 - 8 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large seedless cucumber, sliced into rounds
- Start by adding the water, vinegar, salt, peppercorns, garlic, dill and bay leaf to a large 1 quart jar. Stir to combine.
- Add the sliced cucumbers to the jar. Place the lids on the jar, and shake to combine.
- Refrigerate ideally for at least 2-3 days before eating. The pickles will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.