A super simple Southwestern meal.
Holà, everyone! When the weather’s hot like this, I get in the mood for a little Tex-Mex flavor. But at the same time, I’m not in the mood to heat up the kitchen by turning on the oven to bake a batch of enchiladas.
So I came up with this Enchilada Orzo recipe to satisfy my Southwestern cravings without a lot of cooking time. It’s a really simple one-pot meal with all your favorite Mexican-inspired ingredients: bell peppers, corn, black beans, green chilies, cheddar cheese, and ready-made enchilada sauce (because no one wants to cook their own in this heat).
To hold all this together, I’ve used orzo, which cooks up plumper and chewier than rice. And I threw in a half block of cream cheese to give it an extra creamy, luxurious texture.
The result? A simple supper with a great blend of flavors and textures: chewy orzo, starchy beans, tender chunks of veggies, and a spicy, creamy sauce. Served up with classic Mexican toppings – sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, and a wedge of lime – it’s a meal that goes great with the summer heat, but doesn’t keep you in the kitchen.
Cheesy Enchilada Orzo
1 cup uncooked Orzo
½ block cream cheese, cubed
1 cup cheddar cheese
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup enchilada sauce
1 can black beans
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
½ diced red pepper
½ diced green pepper
¼ cup chopped green chilies
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, cook peppers and corn over medium-high heat until they start to soften.
2. Add in vegetable stock and orzo, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes until orzo is cooked. Stir occasionally while cooking.
4. Uncover, add in cream cheese, black beans, enchilada sauce, cheddar cheese, green chilies and salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat down to low, and simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes.
5. Serve with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, and a lime. Remove from pot and serve.
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
You also might like these yummy recipes!
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Cheesy Enchilada Orzo
- 1 cup uncooked Orzo
- ½ block cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn
- ½ diced red bell pepper
- ½ diced green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green chilies
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook peppers and corn over medium-high heat until they start to soften.
- Add in vegetable stock and orzo, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes until orzo is cooked. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- Uncover, add in cream cheese, black beans, enchilada sauce, cheddar cheese, green chilies and salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat down to low, and simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, and a lime.
- Remove from pot and serve.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Leave a Comment