Get set for fall with this easy, hearty soup.
Well, it’s that time of year again. The kids are back in school, the leaves are starting to turn, and store shelves are filling up with Halloween candy. It all adds up to one thing – fall is here at last.
Fall weather is soup weather, so to get myself in the mood, I’ve been dusting off some of my favorite soup recipes. And when I ran across my classic Crockpot Sausage and Tortellini Stew, I thought, hey, wouldn’t this be even better with spinach in it?
So I started tweaking and tinkering, and I came up with new version of this soup that’s just as easy, hearty, and flavorful as the original. And since tortellini cook fast, you don’t even need to haul out the Crockpot – it comes together in 20 minutes right on the stove. Nine minutes to cook your sausage with onion, garlic, and carrots; ten more to simmer the tortellini in broth until it’s tender; and just one minute to stir in the spinach and let it wilt. And presto – dinner, Italian style!
So if the start of a new school year has left you a little pressed for time, try whipping up this Italian Tortellini Soup the next time you’re in a hurry. It’s quick, satisfying, and perfect for a nippy fall evening.
Italian Tortellini Soup
1 lb bulk mild Italian sausage
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 large carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz chicken broth
1 package (12 oz) refrigerated fresh cheese tortellini
2 cups fresh packed spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven or large pot, cook sausage, onion, carrots and garlic over medium heat, for about 8 minutes, stirring, until sausage is thoroughly cooked. Drain off any access fat.
2. Stir in broth and heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
3. Next, add in your tortellini. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until tortellini are tender.
4. Stir in spinach and cook 1 to 2 minutes more until spinach is wilted. Serve!
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Here are other recipes you might love!
Italian Tortellini Soup
- 1 LB mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 package 12 oz refrigerated fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In 5-quart Dutch oven or large pot, cook sausage, onion, carrots and garlic over medium heat, for about 8 minutes, stirring, until sausage is thoroughly cooked. Drain off any access fat.
- Stir in broth and heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
- Next, add in your tortellini. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until tortellini are tender.
- Stir in spinach and cook 1 to 2 minutes more until spinach is wilted. Serve!