Take a break from holiday madness to enjoy this healthy, tasty sandwich.
This post is sponsored by Mirum, but opinions expressed are my own.
It’s the most busy-ful time of the year…
The holidays are lots of fun, but they’re also really hectic. With so many things to do – gift shopping, gift wrapping, getting the house ready for visitors, ringing in the New Year – it’s hard to find time to eat right.
To make it easier, I’ve been relying a lot on Make Meals That Do More. This is a handy line of Unilever products and recipes you can use to make fast and easy meals that are easy on your budget, too. Some of them are even made with ingredients from sustainable farms, so they’re a smart and eco-friendly choice for your family.
I’ve already written about their Winter Garden Market Chicken, which makes a perfect simple dinner for those nights when you want to feed a few guests, but not a big crowd. But Make Meals That Do More isn’t just for dinners! They also have easy and tasty lunch recipes that you can use for a quick bite in between holiday shopping trips, or to tide a houseful of hungry kids over until dinner is served.
For example, they’ve got a great variant on a grilled cheese sandwich – they call it a “strangewich” – made with Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise, which makes a perfect kid-friendly lunch. I decided to adapt it by using whole-grain bread and low-fat white cheddar and stuffing it with roasted or grilled veggies – so it’s healthy as well as tasty.
If you have time, you can roast the veggies yourself – which is also great for warming up the kitchen on a chilly December day. Or, if you’re in a hurry, just grab a jar of roasted red peppers from your local Walmart. They have everything there, and you can even use their Grocery Pick-Up service to have them take care of your shopping list for you. All you have to do is pick it up!
Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese
1 Tbsp. Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise
2 slices crusty whole grain bread
1 oz. sliced low fat white cheddar cheese
1 cup sliced roasted vegetables or grilled vegetables (SEE NOTE BELOW)
1. Spread one slice of bread with Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise.
2.Place bread mayonnaise-side- down into hot skillet; add cheese and vegetables.
3. Spread other slice of bread with mayonnaise and place mayonnaise-side- up on top of vegetables. Cook until lightly browned on one side. Flip over and cook until cheese is melted.
For Roasted Vegetables: Preheat oven to 400°. Brush veggies with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast turning as needed, until golden and tender. Toss with
chopped fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice. I used bell peppers, eggplant, onion, zucchini and squash!
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 2 slices crusty whole grain bread
- 1 oz. sliced low fat white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced roasted vegetables or grilled vegetables SEE NOTE BELOW
- Spread one slice of bread with Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise.
- Place bread mayonnaise-side- down into hot skillet; add cheese and vegetables.
- Spread other slice of bread with mayonnaise and place mayonnaise-side- up on top of vegetables. Cook until lightly browned on one side. Flip over and cook until cheese is melted.
- For Roasted Vegetables: Preheat oven to 400°. Brush veggies with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast turning as needed, until golden and tender. Toss with
- chopped fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice. I used bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini and squash!
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.