With summer here in Illinois, fresh corn is in the air…. can you smell it! mmmmmmm.
And what goes well with corn? Scallops! What a beautiful joining of flavors! Every time I make scallops, my youngest child is first in line to steal from my plate. Big D on the other hand has yet to fall in love with scallops. She does however LOVE corn. I was hoping the creamy corn would trick her into loving the scallops 🙂
I am happy to report that Little D still loves scallops, and Big D chowed down the two scallops I served her! My sneaky ways worked! hehehe
I bet you are all thinking….”what about poor vegetarian Darryl… what did he have for dinner” WELL…. I adapted this recipe so my wonderful veggie husband could enjoy it too. The original recipe called for anchovy paste. Anchovy paste is extremely salty, and I believe that is what the recipe was trying to add with the paste. So I swapped out the anchovy paste for crushed capers. It worked out great and kept it vegetarian friendly.
Then instead of topping his with scallops, I placed fake chicken tenders on his. So there is your vegetarian option 🙂 We all really loved this meal. All the fresh flavors popped in your mouth. Super yum. And for those of you out there who don’t think your kids will eat scallops or you have not tried them yourself…. give it a try! You will not be disappointed.
Enjoy! XO Corey
(recipe adapted from Rachael Ray)
here is what you need::
10. While the creamed corn is cooking, heat a large cast iron skillet over a high heat.
11. Season scallops with salt and pepper.
Big D eating her scallops BEFORE her raspberries!!!
- - 3 tbsp olive oil
- - 2 tsp crushed capers ( original recipe is 2 tsp anchovy paste)
- - 4 ears of corn
- - 2 shallots, finely chopped
- - 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- - ⅓ cup vermouth
- - ¾ cup heavy cream
- - salt & pepper
- - ¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- - 10-12 large sea scallops, patted dry
- - vegetable oil for frying
- - ½ cup pea shoots for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, 3 turns of the pan over a medium to medium high heat. Add cappers (or anchovy paste) to melt into the oil.
- To removed kernels from corn cob, I used RR trip to take a large bowl and place a upside down smaller bowl in the middle. Place corn on top of small bowl and remove corn with a knife. This will capture all the yummy corn juice too!
- Chop your shallots, garlic and tarragon.
- Add the corn kernels and their liquid and lightly brown them, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in shallots and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Then stir in vermouth.
- Stir in cream.
- Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium low and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add tarragon and simmer on low heat for a few minutes.
- While the creamed corn is cooking, heat a large cast iron skillet over a high heat.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat the pan with vegetable oil and add the scallops.
- Cook, turning once, until caramelized to a dark golden color, 4- 5 minutes.
- Serve the cream corn and top with scallops and pea shoots.
- For the vegetarian version, I topped the corn with 2 fake chicken tenders.