Crockpot Spaghetti Squash

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on YummlyGoogle+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail to someone

Seriously, the easiest way to cook spaghetti squash. No joke.

Spaghetti squash is such a cool vegetable! If you are not familiar with this particular type of squash, once roasted, the meat of the squash is transformed into pasta-like strands. So basically, you can then use it as you would pasta, BUT…. at only 40 calories a cup, it beats out your traditional 200 calorie per cup pasta.

One of my favorite ways to cook a spaghetti squash is in the crockpot. I can throw it in there in the morning, and have that yummy vegetable pasta ready to rock by dinner time.

Once roasted, I have been know to make spaghetti squash and meatballs, toss with Alfredo sauce, saute with garlic, and my favorite, spaghetti squash au gratin (recipe coming soon).

So let’s get our spaghetti squash crockin’!

NOTE: This recipe is for 2 small or 1 large spaghetti squash. If you are only cooking 1 or using a smaller crockpot, times may vary.

Crockpot Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash or 2 small will usually fit in a 6 qt. crockpot.

Directions:

1. Wash your spaghetti squash thoroughly with soap and water.

2. Pierce 4-5 times with a sharp knife.

3. Place in crockpot and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 5.

Crockpot Spaghetti Squash - How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Crockpot - FamilyFreshMeals.com -- Step 2

4. Be careful when removing your squash from the crockpot, because it will be very soft and flimsy.

Our favorite was to eat it is with spaghetti sauce and meatballs!

Crockpot Low Country Boil _  Family Fresh Meals

Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on a FUN new meal or idea and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!

XO
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D

4.1 from 8 reviews
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Crockpot

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Corey:
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 large spaghetti squash (or 2 small will usually fit in a 6 qt. crockpot)
Instructions
  1. Wash your spaghetti squash thoroughly with soap and water.
  2. Pierce 4-5 times with a sharp knife.
  3. Place in crockpot and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 5 hours.
  5. Cut squash down the center and remove seeded center. Then, using a fork, scrap out all of your yummy spaghetti squash!
Here is what I used fro this Crockpot Spaghetti Squash
(Post contains affiliate links)

Join the family!

Subscribe to get the latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox!

Young Living Oils

Young Living Starter Kit

Comments

1. Judi B says

I would love to try spaghetti squash, but I’m not sure what I need to look for when selecting one. Are there any things I need to look for, or to avoid?

• Corey says

Yes! I was going to have an upcoming post about that :) Depending on the size of your squash, cooking times should be about the same :)

2. holly says

This is fantastic! You just gave me a way to cook some of my favorite vegetables and save energy at the same time! Especially in the summer, when it is so hot and you don’t want to heat up the whole house!

• Corey says

Yes they do. You will easily be able to remove them once the squash is done cooking. Scrap those out first, and then the meat of the squash.

3. Martha Brochu says

Have these (2) spaghetti squash) going in the crock pot now.I added 2 cloves of garlic and a large sweet onion to infuse the squash with even more flavor…we love all kinds of squash, what a genius way to cook them. ..its so hard for me to cut them up due to arthritic hands that this technique solves all those problems…thank you..

• Sharon Seiber says

I have the very same problem, and usually have to wait for someone to come over that can cut the dang squash. What a wonderful solution!

• Tammy B says

As for cutting Winter squash, I put mine in a plastic kitchen garbage bag and tie the top of it then pick up the squash in the bag and smash it to the floor. It comes apart in many pieces then you can roast them in the oven…

4. dana says

Fantastic!! I hate trying to cut the squash in half to cook it in the oven, I nearly loose a finger every time! My fingers and I thank you for this idea!

• Jen says

Because the microwave destroys nutrients in food.. You should avoid microwave for foods whenever you can.

5. Deena Rose says

Microwaving, in general is not a great method of cooking . It’s meant to be used in a pinch for time. You could still use the m/w, but crockpot method is a “better” way, esp. if you want to preserve nutrients. Can’t wait to try this idea!

6. Elizabeth says

I recently tried cooking this squash but my husband and I are looking for a bit more flavoring. Any recommendations about spices to try? (I’ll try the onion and garlic too) Thanks! Great and easy recipe!

• Crystal says

I’m not the originator of this but you can spice it up with whatever you normally would a pasta dish. Like hamburger/sausage w/spaghetti sauce, you can even make a mexi flavored one. and add flavorful cheeses, garlic, onions, etc. it’s very easy.

• jayne says

I cook my spaghetti squash with apples, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, raisins, pecans or walnuts. It is sweet fall dish.

• Jackie says

Hi Everyone, for my spaghetti squash, I oil a little coconut oil and Johnny’s Seasoning Salt on mine. Turns out delicious every time!!!

7. wendy says

I tried cooking it in a crockpot once. I pierced it with a fork several times just like I do when baking it in the oven. When I went to cut it open it exploded. Have not been brave enough to try it again. Does piercing it with a knife really work? I dont want to get burned again.

8. sharon says

I have cooked it several times in the oven and have never had the “spaghetti” noodle look. Mine just clumps together. Still tasty but not so pretty. Any idea why? Am I over or under cooking? Your pictures look like noodles. Giving it a try today. Thanks

9. Lori Gillham says

I have cooked both in m/w and oven. In the oven I cut it in half, cut side down, with olive oil and seasonings in the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil to bake, works great, tastes great. But I think I will try the crock pot….. Think there is a way to still use olive oil and seasonings while cooking? Can you cut them first to put in crock pot?

10. Holly says

I had a spaghetti squash explode in my microwave last week. One of my friends shared this post on Facebook for me. Thankful for an alternative.

11. Laura says

Tried this today and while it was a LOT easier to cut open than raw spaghetti squash, my result was a pile of mush that looked nothing like noodles . I got a way more appetizing reault by oven roasting it.
    Plan B now, guess I’ll be using this for a casserole.

12. Karen says

People need to know that spaghetti squash needs to have some holes poked in it to allow steam to escape, especially in the oven or microwave, not sure about crockpot but I would still prob do that, to prevent and exploding squash:)
    Most recipes don’t seem tell people that:) Happy Cooking.

13. Carol says

Make sure to follow directions of piercing squash with a knife. Tried it for first time today. LOVE using my crock pot and this is one more reason why. No mushy squash but I was careful to follow instructions and cook on low heat for several hours.

14. Anna says

Thank you for this helpful recipe! I love spaghetti squash but always find it kind of tedious to cook in the stove and risky to cook in the microwave. I just mixed it up with some jarred alfredo sauce, peas, and chicken breast topped with mozzarella and bread crumbs! Can’t wait!

15. says

Never saw a spaghetti squash before, a friend gave it to me. So I cut it to see the texture and see how I can cook it. Can I still put the cut squash in the slow cooker? Thank you!!

16. Kristin says

I’m just cooking one in a small crock pot does the time change at all? Or if you don’t know is there a way for me to know it’s done?

17. Willie winkler says

Could an instant read thermometer or a probe type be inserted through a hole (like a nail hole or ice pick ) to tell when done? Can’t wait to try this crockie pot cooking of de squash.

18. Don says

No matter how you cook the squash you don’t need to cut it until it is done cooking and has cooled down. It is easy to cut when cooked.

19. js says

Odd…..had a large spagetti squash in 2 separate crock pots…pierced with knife…same cook time…one the stringy spagetti like texture..other one mushy? Any ideas what I might have done wrong?