Make two now and enjoy one later!
Ahhh, Homemade Chicken Pot Pie. I have always loved pot pie. It is a combination of two of my favorite things. Pie & veggies. Darryl and I got to talking the other day about prepackaged vegetarian meals Morning Star Farms used to make, but didn’t anymore.
He REALLY missed their vegetarian Chik’n Pot Pie. I thought it would be great to make a FRESH vegetarian potpie for him. I also had some leftover rotisserie chicken sitting in my fridge from our last Super Target trip, (Archer Farms = best rotisserie chicken EVER) so I though I would make two pies!
Please keep in mind, these recipe makes 2 potpies. Don’t have a vegetarian hubby to make a separate pie for? NO worries, this recipe can also be a “make one, freeze one” potpie recipe. PERFECT! I will give you directions on how to freeze the one and then use later. Hope you enjoy! XO Corey
NOTE: You can bake both pies, or cover and freeze one potpie for up to 3 months. To use frozen potpie, remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking.
Cover pie loosely with foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350, remove foil. Bake 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Chicken Pot Pie (make one freeze one, with vegetarian version)
- 2 medium potatoes peeled anc cut into 1in pieces
- 3 medium carrots cut into 1in pieces
- 1 medium onion
- 1 rib of celery
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken or veg broth for veg version
- 4 cups cooked chicken meat shredded or cubed (or Morning Star Chik'n Strips, cooked and cubed)
- 2/3 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp heavy cream divided
- 1 Tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 package 15 oz refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg
- In a large pot, add butter, oil , potatoes carrots, onion and celery.
- Saute until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually add broth.Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in peas, 1/2 cup cream parsely, garlic salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken (or fake chik'n).
- Spoon into two ungreased 9 in pie plates.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and 1 Tbsp or cream, set aside.
- Roll out the pastry to fit the top of each pie. Place over filling and trim, seal and flute edges.Cut slits in pasty to vent.
- Brush top of pies with egg mixture. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 10 mins before cutting.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.