A savory version of this favorite Irish bread.
Every year, as St. Patrick’s Day rolls around, you start to see Irish goodies in every supermarket. Corned beef and cabbage, leeks and potatoes (“tatties” in Irish-speak) all go on sale at fantastic prices. And in the bakery section, beautiful round loaves of soda bread start showing up.
This is an Irish delicacy is worth waiting all year for. Although it’s called a bread, it tastes almost nothing like your basic sliced sandwich bread. It’s more like a muffin, but with a floury, slightly crumbly texture and a delicate flavor kissed with buttermilk.
Now, most bakeries in America serve a sweetish soda bread, studded with raisins (or currants, if you want to get fancy) and spiced with caraway seeds. But who says soda bread has to be sweet? That floury texture works equally well in a savory bread, loaded with sharp cheddar cheese, smoky bacon, and green onions. It’s got all the flavors of a great loaded baked potato in sliceable form.
This savory Bacon Cheddar Irish Soda Bread is so good, it would definitely be worth waiting all year for – but since you have the recipe, you don’t have to.
Bacon Cheddar Irish Soda Bread
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
¼ cup butter melted
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices chopped cooked bacon
3 tablespoons green onion
1. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk and whisked egg, gradually add melted butter. Pour into dry ingredients.
3. Add cheese, bacon and onion. Mix with spatula until well combined.
4. Spread mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment or well greased.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean.
Slice and enjoy you Bacon Cheddar Irish Soda Bread!
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Bacon Cheddar Irish Soda Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices chopped cooked bacon
- 3 tablespoons green onion
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk and whisked egg, gradually add melted butter. Pour into dry ingredients. Add cheese, bacon and onion. Mix with spatula until well combined.
- Spread mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment or well greased.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Leave a Comment