A healthier meatball, hold the spaghetti.
OK, I know what you’re thinking: “What on earth is a birdball?”
Well, it’s a meatball made with ultra-lean ground turkey instead of beef. The very leanest ground beef you can get at the store is 96 fat lean, which means 4 percent of it is fat. Ground turkey can be as much as 99 percent lean, and it’s cheaper than beef, too. Which makes it a great choice for anyone whose New Year’s resolution was to eat lighter and healthier.
If your resolution was to cut back on carbs instead of fat, this recipe has you covered there, too. These birdballs have a mere 4 grams of carbs per ball, so even eating two or three at once won’t break the carb bank. And if your resolution was to lose a few pounds, no problem: Their WW Points count is only 1-2 points per ball depending on if you are on blue, green or purple plan.
But don’t think for one minute that a meatball (excuse me, birdball) this low-carb and lean must be lacking in flavor. Quite the contrary. With seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder, basil, Italian bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese mixed in with the meat, these balls are simply bursting with zesty Italian flavor. So you can eat healthy without feeling bored – which should make that resolution much easier to stick to.
Why are the turkey meatballs cooked in a muffin tin?
To keep them from drying out. The one problem with meat this lean is that it tends to dry out when cooked, because there’s no fat to keep it moist. Putting the balls in a muffin tin keeps in the moisture, so they stay nice and juicy.
How do you serve birdballs?
Any way you’d serve meatballs! I’ve shown them here doused with marinara sauce and shaved Parmesan, but they’re also good with gravy, in a burrito, on top of a salad, in soup – the list goes on and on. If you’re avoiding carbs, you probably don’t want to serve them over spaghetti, but you could substitute some cooked spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles without adding loads of carbs or fat.
How to Make Low Carb Low Point Birdballs (aka turkey meatballs)
99% lean ground turkey breast
Italian bread crumbs
Lawry’s Seasoning Salt (or your favorite Seasoning salt)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and form into large balls. They should be big enough to fit into regular size muffin tins (makes 12 /14 balls).
- Place balls in prepared muffin tin. Bake 25 min.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
TOOLS USED FOR THIS LOW CARB LOW POINT BIRDBALLS TURKEY MEATBALLS
Muffin Tin: This have nonstick coating ensures effortless food release; oven-safe to 500 degrees F.
Low Carb Low Point Birdballs (aka turkey meatballs)
- 2 lbs of 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 TB dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Lawry's Seasoning Salt or your favorite Seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400
- 2.Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and form into large balls. They should be big enough to fit into regular size muffin tins. big enough to fit in a full size muffin tin (makes 12 /14 balls). Place balls in prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 25-30 minutes
NEED WW IDEAS?
- Over 50 Healthy Work Lunchbox Ideas – perfect for the New Year!
- Weight Watchers Zero Point Lunchbox – if you are on WW, you will love these!