The perfect side for any Mexican meal.
Cinco de Mayo is almost here, so I have been busy wiping up some delicious, Mexican inspired dishes for you! Here’s a really easy, hearty Cheesy Mexican Cornbread. It’s just as simple to make as plain cornbread, but it’s got a lot more going on.
Now, most people know of two kinds of cornbread. There’s the sweet, cake-like cornbread that’s made with white flour as well as cornmeal, and there’s the heavier, crumbly cornbread that’s made with all cornmeal and usually baked in a skillet.
Well, Mexican cornbread is different from both of these. It’s made with fresh corn or creamed corn in the batter, which makes it light and moist at the same time. It’s got both cheese and eggs, which makes it really hearty and satisfying. And it’s spiked with chili peppers to give it a zesty Mexican flavor.
My version of Mexican cornbread pumps up the flavor with even more ingredients – chopped bell peppers as well as chilis, and some chopped green onions for an extra kick. With eggs, cheese, and veggies all mixed right in, it’s hearty enough to make a meal of all by itself. Or you can serve it on the side with any Mexican meal, like tacos or burritos.
Light main dish or hearty side dish – this Mexican Style Cornbread can do it all.
Cheesy Mexican Cornbread
1 cup self-rising white cornmeal
½ cup self-rising flour
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 green onions, chopped
½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 mince garlic clove
1 small can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilis, drained.
2 eggs, beaten
1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn
¼ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9×9 baking pan or use a spring-form pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine corn meal, flour, cheese, onions, bell pepper and green chilis. Stir until well combined.
3. Next, stir in eggs, creamed corn and milk. Spread the batter out in your prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Slice and serve topped with your favorite butter!
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Cheesy Mexican Cornbread
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 mince garlic clove
- 1 small can 4.5 oz chopped green chilis, drained.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 8 ounce can creamed corn
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x9 baking pan or use a spring-form pan with cooking spray.
- Combine corn meal, flour, cheese, onions, bell pepper and green chilis. Stir until well combined.
- Next, stir in eggs, creamed corn and milk. Spread the batter out in your prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Slice and serve topped with your favorite butter!
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.