Okay, I admit it. I’m kind of obsessed with coleslaw.
But come on, what is there not to love about it? It’s the perfect side dish with every summer meal. You can serve it up with burgers and dogs at a cookout…use it as a topping for my Pulled Pork Nachos…spoon it over my Slow-Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches. Coleslaw can do anything.
But in all this time I’ve been raving about my love for coleslaw, I’ve never actually told you about how I make it. And it matters. The consistency of the dressing, the amount of sugar, how long you chill the coleslaw…all these little details make the difference between a good coleslaw and a perfect coleslaw.
The right way to make coleslaw is to start with a mixed bag of veggies – mostly green cabbage, but with a little red cabbage and carrot and onion thrown in. The dressing should be creamy and tangy, sweet but not too sweet. And it needs to be chilled a good two hours, so all the flavors can blend to perfection.
This, my friends, is a coleslaw worth obsessing over.
CLASSIC CREAMY COLESLAW
(printable recipe at bottom of post)
2 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix (*see note below)
2 tablespoons diced onion
2/3 cup mayo
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
*NOTE: If you are a person who like more dressing, I would start with 1.5 bags of coleslaw mix and add more until you achieve your desired dressing ratio
1. Combine the coleslaw mix and onion in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together the mayo, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar and salt, in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly. Pour dressing mixture over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
CLASSIC CREAMY COLESLAW
- 2 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2/3 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the coleslaw mix and onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the mayo, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar and salt, in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly. Pour dressing mixture over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.