The answer to lunch on Thanksgiving Day.
Lunchtime on Thanksgiving Day is always a bit tricky. You’ve got a big crowd of relatives in the house, and you want to serve them all something special. But with such a big feast to come at dinnertime, you don’t want anything heavy.
My usual solution is to put out a bunch of little appetizers that people can just nibble on throughout the afternoon. These assorted munchies are enough to tide them over until dinnertime, but not enough to spoil the big meal that’s coming up. And since it’s a special occasion, I like to choose festive snacks and lay them out in a fancy way.
So this year, I’ll be serving up this Thanksgiving Appetizer Snack Board. It’s got three special, Thanksgiving-appropriate treats: my pumpkin-shaped Fall Cheese Ball, my yummy Sausage Stuffing Bites (complete with cranberry dipping sauce), and some simple, tasty Pear and Goat Cheese Tarts in puff pastry. I lay all these out on my biggest sheet pan and fill in the gaps with standard appetizer fare: fresh fruit and veggies, dried fruit and nuts, kettle popcorn, and crackers. This array of tasty treats will keep my guests happy without filling up their bellies before the main event.
How big a board do I need for this?
The one I used is 14 by 20 inches, but yours doesn’t have to be exactly that size. Just use the biggest cutting board or sheet pan you have, and add as much food as you need to fill it up.
Can this be made ahead of time?
Yes – most of it, in fact. For the board you see here, I made the Stuffing Sausage Balls a whole week ahead of time and froze them. In the morning, I thawed just the amount I needed for the snack board and saved the rest for another day. I made and shaped the cheese ball the day before, then added the nacho chip coating and the stem at the last minute. And I made the pear and goat cheese tarts that morning. As delicious as they are warm, they are still really tasty cold. With these three treats ready ahead of time, it’s a breeze to throw the whole board together and impress your holiday company.
Thanksgiving Appetizer Snack Board
The main 3 components:
- Sausage Stuffing Balls – You can get my recipe for this HERE
- The Perfect Fall Cheese Ball – You can get my recipe for this HERE
- Pear and Goat Cheese Tarts (recipe will be in recipe card below)
Use premade frozen puff pastry and cover with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Layer thinly sliced pears on top and drizzle with honey. Bake for 20-25 minutes, till the crust is brown and puffy. Once it has cooled, sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles!
- Fillers: Kettle Popcorn Crackers Veggies of choice, I used bell peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes Fruit: I used grapes Dried fruit. and nuts
Thanksgiving Appetizer Snack Board
- 2-3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium pears sliced
- 1 Tablespoon honey for drizzling
- 2 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- 1 frozen puff pastry
- Use premade frozen puff pastry and brush with butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar, and cinnamon. Layer thinly sliced pears on top and drizzle with honey.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, till the crust is brown and puffy. Once it has cooled, sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles!
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.