All you love about egg rolls, without the roll.
One thing I like to do in the kitchen is take a favorite recipe and come up with a healthier version. I’ve lightened up chicken Cordon Bleu by cutting the fat and salt, lightened up Philly cheese steak by turning it into stuffed peppers, and even lightened up apple pie by making a smoothie version.
When I tried to lighten up egg rolls, though, I ran into a big problem. The stuff inside the egg roll was fine—just meat and veggies—but then it was all rolled up inside a starchy wrapper and deep-fried. How was I supposed to make that healthier?
I could only think of one way: ditch the wrapper completely.
This Healthy Egg Roll Stir Fry has all the good parts of the egg roll – lean ground beef, loads of veggies, and yummy seasonings like ginger and garlic – without that greasy fried coating. And it turns out, getting rid of the outside makes egg rolls a lot easier to make, too. No need to mess around with lots of little wrappers and a pan full of hot oil – all you have to do is fry the meat and veggies together in just a little bit of oil, season, and serve.
So this healthier egg roll isn’t just lighter on your waistline – it’s lighter on your workload as well.
Healthy Egg Roll Stir Fry
1 lbs lean ground beef
1 small head of cabbage, shredded or sliced into thin strips
3-4 medium carrots, shredded
1/4 onion chopped finely
1 teaspoon ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
Ground Black Pepper to taste.
1. In a large skillet over a medium high heat, cook the beef & onion until the meat is fully cooked and the onion becomes translucent. Drain off any access fat. To the skillet add in the cabbage and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the ginger, garlic, vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, and vinegar. Add mixture to the skillet and cook for another 7-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Do you love Family Fresh Meals? Never miss out on FUN new meals or Easy Lunchbox Ideas for the Family and SIGN UP to have my posts sent right to your inbox! It’s EASY PEASY! Just CLICK HERE and enter your email!
Corey, Darryl, Big D & Little D
Looking for more free recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Healthy Egg Roll Stir Fry
- 1 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded or sliced into thin strips
- 3-4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/4 onion chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- Ground Black Pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet over a medium high heat, cook the beef & onion until the meat is fully cooked and the onion becomes translucent. Drain off any access fat. To the skillet add in the cabbage and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ginger, garlic, vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, and vinegar. Add mixture to the skillet and cook for another 7-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Leave a Comment