A southern specialty that’s great for any holiday table.
I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes. It’s hard to name another food that’s so healthy, tasty, and easy to cook, all at the same time. And you can make them in tons of different ways! In addition to the classic sweet casserole, they’re good roasted with candied bacon and pecans, or layered with white potatoes in a two potato bake. You can even slice them and eat them like toast.
But in all the years I’ve been cooking with these sweet spuds, I’ve never made the most famous sweet potato dish of all: sweet potato pie. This moist and spicy treat is the South’s answer to pumpkin pie, the one dessert that no holiday table is complete without.
It’s quite easy to make, too, as long as you start with a ready-made, unbaked pie shell. Just blend your cooked, mashed sweet potatoes with butter, brown sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, and traditional pumpkin pie spices, then pour them into the pie shell and bake. You know it’s done when a knife in the middle comes out clean.
This Sweet Potato Pie goes great with any holiday meal, from roast turkey at Thanksgiving to baked ham at Easter. And it’s a welcome contribution to any potluck supper.
Can I make this pie head of time?
You sure can. If you are preparing this sweet potato pie a day in advance, you can keep it out at room temperature and covered loosely with foil. If you are making the pie more than a day in advance, cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Can I freeze this sweet potato pie?
Yep! You can freeze this pie either as a whole pie, or as slices. If you freeze the whole pie – allow to cool completely. Next, wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil, and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. To freeze leftover slices, simply wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, place in a freezer-safe ziploc bag for up to 2 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
How do you cook sweet potatoes?
My favorite method is in the slow cooker ( I did a post on how to HERE )
If you want to cook sweet potatoes in the oven, start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees F. On a baking sheet, prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Bake until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix together the butter and sweet potatoes until well combined. Make sure sure that no lumps remain in the sweet potatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into an unbaked pie crust. Bake 50 minutes. To make sure that the crust around the edge doesn’t get too brown, cover with a pie shield for the final 25 minutes of baking. HERE’s how to make a pie shield if you don’t have one.
Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ¼ t cinnamon
- ½ t nutmeg
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t ginger
- ⅛ t ground cloves
- ½ t vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 9 ” pie crust unbaked
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, mix together the butter and sweet potatoes until well combined. Make sure sure that no lumps remain in the sweet potatoes
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into an unbaked pie crust.
- Bake 50 minutes. To make sure that the crust around the edge doesn’t get too brown, cover with a pie shield for the final 25 minutes of baking.
Save this recipe for later! Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your recipe box!
Family Fresh Meals is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.
Looking for more easy and delicious sweet recipes?
- Edible Cookie Dough – for all my raw cookie dough fans
- Jumbo Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies – the ultimate cookies
- Edible Sugar Cookie Dough – another yummy raw cookie dough to try
- Sugar Cookie Cake – so easy to make and a fan favorite!
- Fried Ice Cream Cake – crunch and cool!
- No Bake Cherry Cheese Cake Dessert – the best no bake recipe around!